The Berlin Board (advisory committee of the Executive Board) each includes one member of the management level of the applicant institutions as well as one additional representative of the eligible institutions, which is appointed by the latter in consultation with the foundation's executive board, and two scientists of non-university research institutions designated by the Executive Board.
The Berlin Board assesses the contribution of the proposals recommended by the Research Board for promotion to the strategic development of profiles and to the strengthening of Berlin's scientific landscape. The Panel assesses the applications relating to:
- the importance of the projects for the expansion of already internationally successful science areas in Berlin through existing strengths
- targeted use of synergies or closure of gaps
- Development and optimization of structures for the development of further research areas in Berlin
- Importance for the national and international attractiveness of the science location Berlin
- Deepening of existing or establishing new forms of cooperation
- Contribution to the expansion of strategic cooperation between Berlin research institutions