The target group consists in particular of scientists who complement excellent fields of the BIH with special expertise. The Einstein BIH Visiting Fellow is not the classical visiting scientist staying at the BIH for one semester. Rather, in the long term, the Fellows are to become part of the BIH, but also of Berlin science as a whole. The Einstein BIH Visiting Fellow is expected to establish a working group at the BIH in coordination with his or her hosts and be available to them and the junior scientists several times (at least 4 times) in the context of a work stay in Berlin lasting, if possible several weeks. During this period, he or she also works on joint research projects with Berlin colleagues and conducts events in coordination with the host institution.
The ”Einstein BIH Visiting Fellows” program is a collaborative effort by Stiftung Charité and Einstein Foundation Berlin, enabled by the Private Excellence Initiative Johanna Quandt. The Einstein Foundation coordinates the entire review process and ensures the scientific quality of the program due to a proven multi-stage procedure.
Directors of an institution (institute, clinic, research center, Forschungsschwerpunkt) at the BIH, thus the Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin, as well as the scientific directorate at the Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine (MDC) are entitled to apply.
Sponsoring comprises funds of up to 150,000 EUR per year. Funds are to be used to establish a working group at the BIH, if necessary including funding a postdoc who is located in Berlin and can take up leadership tasks in the working group. In addition, the following can be funded: a reasonable expense allowance for the Einstein BIH Visiting Fellows in accordance with the rules of the host institution (oriented on the qualification and the guest’s status in his or her home country) and consumables and equipment of a volume considered necessary by the Einstein BIH Visiting Fellow for his or her research project.
IV. FUNDING PERIOD
Funding is provided for a period of three years. At the end of this period, an application for two further years may be submitted (see VI.). The respective scientist or scholar will hold the title of “Einstein BIH Visiting Fellow“.
V. APPLICATION PROCESS
The application forms provided by Stiftung Charité are to be used. Application deadlines and more information are available on the Stiftung Charité’s website.
VI. APPLICATIONS FOR EXTENSIONS
Applications for extensions should be made using the forms provided by the Stiftung Charité and submitted by the deadlines announced on the Foundation’s website.
The same rules and recommendations apply as for the original application
(see above, II. - V.).
Applications for an extension of funding must include the following:
a. A review of the initial funding period and an assessment of the Einstein BIH Visiting Fellow’s importance for the BIH during that time, including information on
- the joint research project conducted by the fellow and the BIH during the initial period (including any joint publications, events, etc.)
- the fellow’s contribution to teaching at the BIH
- the size and focus of the working group in Berlin during the initial funding period
- the frequency and duration of the fellow’s visits to Berlin during the initial funding period
- the measures adopted to integrate the fellow into Berlin’s research landscape
- the administrative and organisational support provided by the BIH
b. Information on the proposals for the second funding period, including
- a description of the research project planned by the fellow and the BIH for the second funding period
- the fellow’s expected contribution to enhancing the quality of teaching at the BIH
- the size and focus of the Berlin working group during the second funding period
- the frequency and duration of the fellow’s visits to Berlin during the second funding period
- further measures to integrate the fellow into Berlin’s research landscape
- the administrative and organisational support to be provided by the BIH
c. An explanation of the added value of the second phase of funding for medium- and long-term cooperation between the BIH in Berlin and the Einstein BIH Visiting Fellow's home institution.
VII. USE OF FUNDS
The respective host institution at the BIH provides the spatial and infrastructural prerequisites.
There are no contractual relationships between Stiftung Charité or Einstein Foundation Berlin and the Einstein BIH Visiting Fellow. All necessary agreements are to be reached directly between the BIH or the Charité or the MDC and the Einstein BIH Visiting Fellow.