Can I apply if I am already in Germany or another safe country, of if I am already employed by a university in a safe country?

Yes, as long as the productive stay outside of your country of origin / the country in which your academic freedom was constrained and/or you were under threat does not exceed four years at the time of application. If you are not sure whether you are eligible to apply, please contact the Einstein Foundation in good time.